GRAMMAR LEVEL EXAM - B1
EXERCISE 1 - COMPLETE THE SENTENCES USING THE CORRECT VERBAL TENSE
1. Alberto (drive) to school bus everyday.
2. Sandy (forget) her homework very often.
3. Our friends sometimes (play)tennis twice a week .
4. Jenny never (go) home. But she (go) yesterday because her mother (be) ill.
5. When they (arrive), the boy (play) in his room.
6. By next year, they (win) the prize.
7. They (argue) yesterday afternoon when I (arrive) home.
8. We (plan) a trip for this weekend.
9. The telephone (ring) while mum (cook).
10. Smoking (smoke) bad for your health.
EXERCISE 2 - TURN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES INTO PASSIVE VOICE
1. They had won the race.
The race .
2. He has seen two bulls this morning.
Two bulls this morning.
3. I was buying the newspaper when I saw Mary.
The newspaper when I saw Mary.
4. They are buying a new house this afternoon.
A new house this afternoon.
5. Paul has sold his two cars.
His two cars .
6. I put the glasses on the table.
The glasses on the table.
7. I was feeding the animal yesterday at 10 o'clock.
The animal yesterday at 10 o'clock.
8. They had painted the house on Monday.
The house on Monday.
9. She has given Paul a kiss this morning.
Paul a kiss this morning / A kiss to Paul this morning.
10. They hid the treasure a long time ago.
The treasure a long time ago.
EXERCISE 3 - TURN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES INTO REPORTED SPEECH
1. "The boss must sign the letter", Jean said.
Jean said that the boss the letter.
2."Our teacher will go to Madrid tomorrow", Emily said.
Emily said that their teacher to Madrid the following day.
3. "I was writing a letter yesterday", Helen told me.
Helen told me that she a letter the day before.
4. "Tim went to the Stadium yesterday", Peter said.
Peter said that Tim to the Stadium the day before.
5. "My mother will celebrate her birthday next week", Pablo told me.
Pablo told me that his mother her birthday the following week.
6. "John had already gone at six", David said.
David said that John at six.
7. "Are the boys reading a book?" Mandy asked me.
Mandy asked me if the boys a book.
8. "Where are you playing football today?", Jennifer asked.
Jennifer asked where I football that day.
9. "Did Max fly to London two weeks ago?", Paul asked.
Paul asked Max to London two weeks before.
10. Where are my glasses? My grandmother asked me.
My grandmother asked me her glasses .
EXERCISE 4 - COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONAL SENTENCES
1. If I (know) the truth I wouldn’t have said those stupid words.
2. If I (have) more money I would buy a new house.
3. John (come) if Mary calls him.
4. If I (be) you, I would visit Ann.
5. You (not arrive) on time unless you hurry up.
6. If I (study) harder I will pass my two exams tomorrow.
7. Rose (come) if you hadn’t been so stupid with her.
8. If you (heat) the water, it boils.
9. Maria’s baby (sleep) if you kept silence.
10. Vanessa will pass her exams if she (feel) confident.
EXERCISE 5 - COMPLETA LAS SIGUIENTES ORACIONES CON UN PRONOMBRE RELATIVO
1. George, father is a doctor, is a nice boy.
2. This is the animal ( ) John saw last week.(El relativo puede omitirse)
3. He is the boy broke the window.
3. I don’t understand the reason he got so angry.
4. you say is false. I strongly disagree.
5. That is the school Andrew works.
6. Mary, was eighteen yesterday, is one of my best friends.
7. The table, you broke yesterday, was bought by my grandmother.
8. I don’t understand you say. Could you repeat it?
9. That is the dog ( ) I told you yesterday. (El relativo puede omitirse)
EXERCISE 6 - COMPLETE USING MODAL VERBS
1. I swim when I was three years old.
2. Where is Kate? She be home by now.
3. It is very dark in here. I see you very well.
4. In my opinion, they go to Portugal, not Italy.
5. You tell her about the surpise party.